Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation with a Cancer Coach
March 17, 2022 by Ian Batten
You hear the doctor say, “Cancer.” OMG! Not ME! Your heart pounds, your head spins, your breath stops. It feels like the end of your world.
Yet, that shove off the cliff might be the beginning step toward thriving.
Do you ever feel like your cancer diagnosis has taken control of your life?
Do you wake up in the morning worried about how you’re going to make it through another round of treatment? Wonder how you’re going to deal with your fatigue, poor appetite, and other unpleasant side effects?
Some questions you might be asking yourself?
What exactly is “Cancer coaching”?
I’m so glad you asked! The role of a cancer coach is to partner with the patient to help them throughout their cancer journey. A cancer coach will help the client to learn about evidence-based integrative approaches that could help them during their cancer journey. They will increase the client's knowledge of treatment plans as they work with their physician to make confident treatment choices.
The cancer coach will help the patient in every detail of their journey through cancer diagnosis and treatment. For cancer survivors, a cancer coach provides information on how to manage after cancer treatment. For survivors the focus is on prevention, recovering from side effects of treatment, and self-care modalities to help the client stay in remission and live a full life. Integrative cancer coaches focus on the mind, body, and spirit.
As your coach, I form a relationship with you as my family (client) and implement a structured plan to encourage a healthy journey and recovery by providing encouragement and feedback.
What will I actually gain from working with a Cancer Coach?
After working together, you’ll feel more comfortable going to your doctor’s appointments, since you’ll be prepared with specific questions for each visit. You’ll get your anxiety about your diagnosis under control by using the integrative approaches that I teach. You will feel empowered by the wealth of knowledge you’ll have about your diagnosis and feel comfortable with the plan of care that your doctor gave you because you’ll understand it so much better.
Mindfulness meditation with a Cancer Coach
Have you found yourself parking your car at a beach, or some other place, only to discover that you were unable to recall a single detail of the drive? Sometimes we sit down for a cup of coffee, only to find we are left holding the empty cup! We cannot recall a single detail about the drink. We are performing actions and randomly thinking thoughts, but often we are not aware of either our thoughts or actions. Twenty-first-century lifestyles are characterized by stress, impatience, and the inability to relax.
I want you to know that you can still live a full life, in spite of your cancer diagnosis.
Effects of meditation
The effects of meditation are varied affecting the physical body, emotions, brain, and spiritual connection. Here are just a few of the effects proven via scientific research:
- Rises in antibodies and blood cells
- Increased immune function
- Improves body’s ability to resist disease and effects of stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve resting heart rate
- Reduces incidence of strokes, heart disease, cancer
- Diminishes chronic pain
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- Ameliorate many other diseases
- Activates regions associated with positive mood and optimism (left frontal regions)
- Increased reaction to flu vaccines
- Increased coherence in the body’s biological processes
- Greater activity of NK cells (Natural cancer killer cells)
- More resistance to the spread of disease
- Increased emission of biophotons which aid in general healing
- Activates the most thoughtful part of the brain
- Boosts activity and blood flow to the PFC
- Boosts the number of brain cells
- Calms the ANS (autonomic nervous system)
- Boosts energy
- Calms stress
- Enhances brain function, decreasing awareness of time and space
- Increased activity in area of the brain connected to spirituality
- Diminishes anxiety and worries while fostering relaxation
- Improves attention and planning
- Decreases sleepiness
- Protects the brain from cognitive decline associated with normal aging
- Increases the size of the hippocampus and frontal cortex
- Aids in weight loss
- Reduced muscle tension
- Tightens the skin
Cancer is so limited
It cannot steal your JOY
It cannot steal your HOPE
It cannot steal your ETERNAL LIFE.
So, are you ready to walk through this journey together?
When you are ready to take the next step, sign up for your free 15 minutes session, via the Uloo app and we will have an awesome orientation session. Let’s take hands on this journey together.
I would be honored to work with you: You are not alone!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Founder of African Survivor Foundation. Cancer Survivor/Care Coach, Cancer Motivational Speaker, TEDX Certified speaker, Multiple Sclerosis Ambassador, Forensic Psychology, Mental Wellness Coach, Mindfulness Practitioner, and Positive Psychology Practitioner, Chronic Pain Coach and forgiveness coach.